Sunday, May 22, 2005

On Loneliness, aka, Life Without Cable

I cut off my cable on Friday afternoon. The timing was a little foolish in light of nationally broadcast Yankees v. Mets series this weekend, but it had to be done. Not only am I moving next weekend, but of course I'm studying for the bar and am WAY too dependent on television.

I've spent the day packing up my apartment and uploading CDs to my iPod (see previous post on iPodding). I watched a few DVDs during the day, but nothing held my attention while I was moving around the house. I never quite realized until today exactly how dependent I've become on cable television. I spoke a couple people on the phone but I mostly spent the day alone. On Sundays past, I could sit around happily all day in my pajamas and watch whatever crappy movie was showing on TNT, TBS, or USA -- some movie that I'd seen numerous times, but always watched anyway. The whole day would pass and I would barely notice.

But today has dragged on for an eternity. I got so bored I even swam 20 laps in the pool downstairs. I despise exercise. This was an extreme measure to wake up.

The worst part is, there is no end in sight. This is the beginning of a summer without cable television. And today all I did was pack - it will get SO MUCH WORSE when I actually have to study. Guess I'll be swimming a lot of laps.

2 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't miss anything on the crappy cable movie channels this Sunday - I think it was the worst showing I have seen in years.

Not even one 80's movie that is worth mentioning.

One channel actually played "Not Another Teen Movie" while another played one of those many Lethal Weapons - now you know they are desperate when they can't even afford the originals. Even the food network was bad - they had a home makeover show on!

Boyfriend actually was channel surfing for an hour and he settled on America's Funniest Home Videos. That's pathetic. Almost as bad as the thought of you swimming laps (hehe). Ouch.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger elad said...

yeah, America's Funniest Home Videos was sad. But I felt like my IQ was already pretty low after watching "Attack of the Clones" so it was forgiveable.

(Maybe.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Hit Counter