Thursday, May 19, 2005

iPodding

I finally fulfilled my several month long dream of owning an iPod last week. I would love to say that it has changed my life, but frankly, it's taking so long to upload all of my albums to it that right now it's become a really boring hobby rather than a life-improving convenience. Literally, I set target goals every evening for how many albums I will try to upload that evening. I've stopped watching tv to upload to my iPod. I think if you gave alcoholics and drug addicts iPods they would stop abusing substances because you need so much concentration and time to deal with the iPod that really, no time is left for anything else!

Anyway, I've been rediscovering songs (with a 5,000 song capacity, you can discover all sorts of songs). But it's fun to see what makes the cut -- I can't possibly upload every single song I own. No way. But in the process I'm finding mixes from old boyfriends (Hi OlafJ) that have songs that reveal very specific and memorable moments in time. Speaking of Olaf, I found his mix with "Digital Love" by Daft Punk, a much more romantic song than one would ever think. It was our song, I think, if we had one, and I always imagined that if we got married we would be doing the robot dance to it as our first dance.

But I will say this: I think if iPods had existed when Nick Hornby wrote "High Fidelity" Rob Fleming would totally be an iPod owner. Not because of the new-fangledness or high technology aspect of it -- save that for another Hornby character, the protagonist from "About A Boy." But I digress. The point is, the thought of having all of your music in one place is very comforting. It would certainly save time in the "great reorganization" after break-ups.

2 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Danya said...

Now that I have 700 songs on my iPod I'm starting to appreciate it -- but I don't think I'll be satisfied until I've uploaded most of my CD collection! I'm sure it'll be attached to me the rest of the summer!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger elad said...

i want an iPod-like mp3 player. but not an ipod. that way I can hold on to my precious "indie" status while selling out.

the truth is, i love CD's. i love the quality, i love the touch and the prettiness of them. but mp3's players are convientent as hell. and i would only allow 256kps mp3's on there anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Hit Counter