Friday, April 22, 2005

Enemiester

I love Friendster. I am in fact a Friendster addict. I sign on at least every day. There are profiles I regularly visit. I notice when they add new features. But there is one new feature that necessary: a dislikes section.

I've found that I often bond with people over dislikes. When I moved to Miami, I bonded with those who also hated Miami, loathed palm trees, missed the change of seasons, and deeply believed that wherever they came from was better.

But that's a topic for another post.

Disliking the same things, whether they be places, tv shows, movies, bands, and especially people can provide a special bond.

I think Friendster not only needs a dislikes section, but maybe a sister site called "Enemiester" where you can link to people who hate the same people you hate.

I don't have all the logistics worked out, but I know this much: the coolest guy I knew in college had an enemies list that he carried around in his wallet. Think Steve Buscemi's character in "Billy Madison" (Wow I'm glad I called that guy!). Sadly I learned that my friend's wallet was stolen a few years ago while he was playing basketball, and with it, the enemies list.

What people like is mundane. If you have any sense, style, or taste, there are limited number of things you can like. But there is a virtually infinite number of things to dislike. What to prioritize? If you could only choose five things to dislike, what makes the list? Miami drivers vs. Paris Hilton? "That 70s Show" vs. Hitler? What makes the cut?

If you find common ground disliking the same things, you know you have found a friend for life.

1 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am nominating you to be the Friendster CEO -- at least some chair on the board -- because nobody knows friendster more than you!

As for hating - well that's my favorite topic!

Why do we need to choose what we hate more? I think its enough to just embrace the hate. Accept the fact that paris hilton is a piece of garbage, that miami drivers deserve to rot in hell, that hitler should be locked in a car driving on the miami highways with paris while watching that 70s show -- all of it sucks.

See, we can just hate away without having to choose!

But if you are going to make me choose what I hate the most -- I would say its people who hate, but act like they dont.

Nobody loves it all - nobody is happy when someone steals their parking spot - or when someone tries to run you off the road -- or when skinny ass girls are living the high life on tv -- stop acting like it makes you happy -- YOU HATE IT and that's where the joy comes from!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Hit Counter